Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Banana Chocolate Cherry Cake

Pat Ashforth (yes, that Pat Ashforth) gave me this recipe back in the days of Compuserve. Before blogging and Ravelry were around. It is the single best use of nasty soft bananas I have ever had. But some words of caution before you go checking the cupboards to see if you have all the ingredients.
The first few times you make it, it will take about an hour of prep. It's not quick and easy and it uses a ton of bowls. Your kitchen will look like the guy in your life cooked when you're through with it.
Don't make it for people you don't like.
They'll come back.
I tend to cook when I'm stressing, so for the last couple of days, my house has smelled like a bakery and I've made two of these cakes in as many days.
My in-laws are coming this weekend.
Friday the cleaning starts.
And yeah, the cake will be gone by the weekend. Just saying...



1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup water
2 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs (separated)
2 medium very ripe bananas
1/3 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup maraschina cherries (halved and drained)

Grease and flour a 10" bundt pan.

Melt chocolate chips in 1/4 cup of water over low heat, stirring till smooth. set aside and cool

Combine flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder.

In a separate bowl, cream butter with 1 cup of sugar. Add egg yolks and beat well on high speed. Add bananas, sour cream and vanilla to creamed mixture.

At low speed, alternately add dry ingredients and banana mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Blend well and stir in cherries.

Beat egg whites to a soft, not dry mound. Add 1/2 cup of sugar and beat until stiff.

Fold egg white into batter.

Place 1/3 of the batter into the prepared pan. Drizzle in 1/2 of the chocolate. Add 2nd third of batter and drizzle in remaining chocolate. Add rest of batter.

Bake at 350 fo 50-60 minutes, until cake springs back when touched. DO NOT INVERT TO COOL! Cool in pan till barely warm to touch then remove from pan and continue cooling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks so yumm........... I could use a piece - drop one by at the office tomorrow, okay!!!!

Denise said...

Yum, that looks really good! I have some soft bananas to use up right now. I was going to make my usual banana chocolate chip bread but maybe I'll make this instead. I wonder if it would be okay with dried tart cherries instead of the merischino?