Tuesday, April 18, 2006
Yesterday Angela and I spent the better part of six hours dyeing yarn and roving using natural dyes. We did four pots and had great results with all but one. On the left is the wool and roving done with blackberries, centre is madder, and right is the failed alkanet (initally it was a nasty brown/grey) overdyed with cochineal. I really like the bright orange we got from the madder. I'm not an orange person, but it's so clear it reminds me of creamsicles.
This is the laceweight that I spun from a merino/kid blend, also dyed yesterday. I'm knitting it into the scarf from the most recent issue of Interweave Knits.
Here's some Targhee destined to become a three ply double knit for a project yet to be determined. I have almost two pounds of it, so it's likely to become a sweater of some sort.
And last, but not least, here's one of the results of Angela's weekend with dye. It's 50/50 merino tencel that will be a three ply sock yarn and then some seriously funky socks. Hopefully I can get it done before I go senile.